Have an account?

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Cropping - January Mini Assignment

Cropping was one of several composition rules I played with today. I just happened to like the resulting photo from this rule the best.

CF_Cropping_2[2010]
I started off with a fairly wide shot of this bust. The photo arguably follows the Rule of Thirds, but I didn't particularly like it. I played with shooting from straight on and from the other side. Then I moved forward.

CF_Cropping[2010]
I like this shot much better. Granted, they both are pretty simple shots, I like this one. I adjusted the white balance a bit to bring out the bust and toned down the color of the background just a bit.

post signature

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kerri,

I really like the first one and think it makes much more of a statement than the second. I like seeing the full sculpture, the warmer tones in the bust are appealing, and I like the consistent hues in the background. I'll check back later because I'm interested in others' comments.

~Val said...

Hi, Kerri. Haven't stopped by your blog before. Nice place to hang out! :-)

Sorry, Julie. I have to disagree. I think there's too much white space (well, red...) on the upper photo. I think the warming of the background was a great call, and I love how much more detail I can see in image #2.

Waiting for the tie-breaker! :-D

mljrbg said...

My vote is for #2. Toning down the background and adjusting the white balance puts more emphasis on the sculpture and enhances the beauty of the lighting.

mljrbg said...

Sorry I hit enter too soon!! In the first image I think there is too much (white) space while the second image is still offset to let slightly I find that much more appealing.

Anonymous said...

I prefer the first one, but would crop the right side a little. The second is a bit washed out.

Anonymous said...

It's hard for me to decide which one I like best. I like the composition of the 2nd but the colors do seem washed out. I think that maybe colors somewhere in between the first and second would work?